What is Home Buyer’s Insurance?
You’ve found the perfect property and your offer has been accepted, so you’ve applied for your mortgage, issued a survey and instructed your solicitor. Then the worst happens, the sale falls through, and you’ve already paid hundreds, maybe even thousands in fees.
Home Buyer’s Insurance covers you against these losses, reimbursing your expenses up to the amount of £2,250:
→ Conveyancing & search fees up to £1,500
→ Survey & valuation fees up to £500
→ Mortgage arrangement fees up to £250
It’s a one off payment, and you could be covered in seconds.
Reasons why your purchase could fall through:
- Gazumping – someone else comes in with a higher offer
- The seller changes their mind and takes the property off the market
- The mortgage lender valuation is lower than the accepted offer
- The survey identifies major repair work that no one was aware of
Some important facts about your Home Buyer’s Insurance policy are summarised below. This summary does not describe all the terms and conditions of this policy, so please take time to read the policy document to make sure you understand the cover it provides.
Your cover will start within 14 days of the date your solicitor is instructed by you to start the conveyancing work to complete the purchase of the property, or where the property is purchased at an auction, from the date of the auction where your bid was successful. Your cover will finish 182 days after the start date, or before if you make a claim, the policy is cancelled or your complete purchase of the property.
Significant Exclusions or Limitations
The policy does not cover costs and expenses:
• incurred prior to the inception date
• if you are aware of a previous survey of the property which may lead to an insured event
• if you decide to withdraw from the purchase of the property, unless the reason is covered by an insured event
• if an insured event occurs due to a deliberate act by you
• if they can be reclaimed from or refunded by another party
If you decide that for any reason, this policy does not meet your insurance needs then please return it to the administrator within 14 days from the day of purchase or the day on which you receive your policy documentation, whichever is the later. On the condition that no claims have been made or are pending, we will then refund your premium in full.
To read the Home Buyer’s Insurance policy summary, click here.
To read the full Home Buyer’s Insurance policy wording, click here.